World Habitat Day
Join hundreds of LA County residents in supporting World Habitat Day. Click Here to take the pledge.
On Monday, Oct. 1, our peers and supporters around the globe will recognize World Habitat Day and will seek to raise awareness about the dire need for adequate shelter. Join us to put a much needed focus on the role that affordable housing plays in lifting families out of poverty and creating sustainable communities. We urge you to consider this year’s World Habitat Day theme, “Many Homes, One Community,” as you organize or participate in World Habitat Day events and activities. Last year, Habitat for Humanity groups organized World Habitat Day events in nearly 400 communities worldwide. This year we want to make our collective voice even louder.
Here are 10 ways to put a spotlight on World Habitat Day and motivate those around you to change the systems, policies and attitudes that contribute to poverty housing.
- Sign the Pledge to End Poverty Housing.
- Observe The International Day of Prayer and Action for Human Habitat on Sunday, Sept. 30, as a prelude to World Habitat Day.
- Use one of our World Habitat Day banners as your Facebook or Twitter profile photo or add it to your blog or Web site.
- Tweet about your #WorldHabitatDay plans and about the global need for adequate shelter around the world.
- Register for Habitat on the Hill 2013, which will be held Feb. 4-5. Habitat’s annual legislative conference provides a great opportunity to talk to leaders in Washington, D.C., about the impact adequate housing makes in communities worldwide.
- Join the World Habitat Day Facebook group.
- Use Habitat blue and green anywhere you can to promote World Habitat Day—wear it, paint it, light it up.
- Upload photos of how you are recognizing World Habitat Day 2012 to the World Habitat Day Facebook group or to Twitter or Instagram using #WorldHabitatDay.
- Tell us how you will recognize World Habitat Day 2012 by submitting your event or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Look at the World Habitat Day 2012 resources available online for more ideas on how you can get the message out this World Habitat Day.
Stand up in your community and explain how housing is foundational. Tell others how creating opportunities for affordable housing attracts new businesses, creates jobs and makes communities safer. The ripple effects of what we are doing can change the lives of families and communities for generations.
Together, we can look toward a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Federal Legislative Priorities
In order to increase support for affordable homeownership and eliminate poverty housing, Habitat for Humanity International recognizes the following initiatives as legislative priorities:
- Invest in resilient communities.
- Maintain federal resources that support the work of Habitat affiliates nationwide.
- Create tenure security.
Please click here to read about the specific programs and policies attached to each initiative and what you can do to help!