Act! Speak! Build! Week
Act! Speak! Build! Week (ASBW) is a national Habitat for Humanity student-initiated advocacy program that empowers young people to educate themselves about affordable housing issues and to take action. We encourage youth of all ages, local schools, universities and youth groups to get involved.
Become an Advocate
You are a KEY component to raising awareness about affordable housing! We need your help during ASBW to INSPIRE your peers and local community to make a difference.
Each year, Habitat LA and members of our Youth United program select a theme and key activity. This year’s main activity is a Door Decorating Contest and the theme is “A Key to Inspiration.”
Here’s how it works:
- Take a common door and decorate it in a creative way to raise awareness about the need for affordable housing.
- Submit an entry form and photo of your door for the chance to win prizes and have your door on public display.
- Prizes will be awarded to the most creative doors chosen by a panel of judges as well as the door with the most likes on the Habitat LA Facebook page.
There are other ways to use your voice and talents during ASBW!
Act: Make a difference by raising money through Habitat LA’s Nickels for Nails fundraising drive. The money collected will go toward the House that Youth Built. Teachers and youth groups who sign up will receive materials to help with having a successful fundraising drive.
Speak: Use your social media to spread awareness on the need of affordable housing. Post a photo of yourself showing how you support affordable housing, or a fact or statistic on poverty housing and call for a solution! Use our handles and hashtags: @HabitatLA #ASBWLA15 @HabitatYouth
Build: The arts have been used throughout history to express opinion and raise awareness about issues. Submit an essay, poem, song, painting, picture or video of how you are contributing to the need for affordable housing in greater Los Angeles.
TAKE ACTION, SPEAK UP AND BUILD AWARENESS!
CHECK OUT OUR ASBW TOOLKIT BELOW FOR INFO AND IDEAS!
ASBW 2015 Toolkit
- Door Decorating Contest Entry Form
- Door Decorating Contest Guidelines and Sample Score Sheet
- ASBW 2015 Flyer
- List of other Advocacy Activities
- 2015 Key Housing Facts
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Letter to Schools and Youth Organizations
- Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram): @HabitatLA, #ASBWLA15, @HabitatYouth
For more information on how to get involved please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.